Golden Gift Baskets & Knockout Mode!

5 months ago by QuestFerret in Rocket League News

Good news, Golden Drops are back!

It was a little disappointing not to see Golden Eggs return this easter just gone, but it looks like Psyonix, as per usual, had a slightly different plan up their sleeve.

To coincide with the brand new Knockout Bash game mode (more on that later), we currently have the opportunity to unlock Golden Gift Baskets, which function pretty much identically to other recent Golden drops, such as the Golden Gifts and the Golden Moons.

For the uninitiated amongst you, there’s usually a repeatable in-game challenge, typically to play 20 games, and this will reward you with a shiny golden drop. This can then be opened to give you a random item from the three series that it pulls from.

In the case of Golden Gift Baskets, the three are the Victory, Accelerator and Turbo series. At the top end you’ll be able to get Black Market drops like the 20XX decal from the Turbo series, or the Hellfire goal explosion from the Accelerator series. Of course, you're more likely to get rare items like the Kawaii decal for Masamune, but you never know!

If you don’t fancy trying your luck - Golden Gift Baskets are tradable, so why not list them on your favourite Rocket League trading platform? I hear RL Garage has a good one. Cool guys over there. If past drops are anything to go by they’ll probably be worth 120 to 150 credits after the first day or two, so you could make a tidy amount of free credits if you play enough to unlock them all.

Now then, onto knockout mode!

For a long time now, I think a lot of us have been feeling that Rocket League needs to freshen up a little bit. Don’t get me wrong, I obviously love the game, and I have so much to thank it for. But come on. It’s been almost seven years, and the gameplay now is pretty much identical to what it was back in 2015.

Non-standard maps have been complained about out of existence, additional game modes have been introduced, then ignored. Limited time events have come and gone - but nothing’s really stuck. It’s always just been two teams aiming to get a thing in a goal.

It’s not always been this way. You may have heard of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars, Rocket League’s PS3 exclusive predecessor from the late 2000's. That game had its flaws... many, many flaws, but what it did have was variety. Besides the main car football mode, it had mini games and cool challenges and a bunch of other stuff. Honestly, as a big PS3 fanboy back in the day, I’m quite frustrated that I didn’t find it until after discovering the Rocket League alpha.

Knockout mode sort of reminds me of this - it’s Rocket League’s first step away from ball-in-goal gameplay, and honestly... it’s an absolute blast.

Basically, it’s an eight player battle royale - last battle car standing wins. The main aim is to stay on the platform whilst also removing your opponents from it. Fall off of the platform, lose a life. Get caught by a laser grid or hit one of the spikey… things? Lose a life. Leave the safe zone? Lose a life. Lose three lives? You’re eliminated.

In trying to get your opponents out of the arena and defending your position, you have three main tools at your disposal - you can attack opponents, grab opponents, or you can defend yourself from your opponents attacks.

On top of that, you’ve got a few more additional features, you can now triple jump and dodge four times, you regain boost while on the ground, boost is more powerful, jumps are more powerful. All of this allows you greater control of your battle car and to get back into the arena if

There are also three brand new maps to play in, starting from the relatively simple Quadron, through Carbon, and onto the skull-shaped Calavera. Each of them have different layouts and hazards, and this really affects the gameplay.

Honestly, there’s a lot to unwrap here and it would be easier for you to just go and play it. To incentivise you, there are more challenges which unlock a bunch of spring-themed items, my highlight of which is the Flutterby Global Decal. Then there’s also the Florescence Wheels, Monarch boost and topper, Springtide decal for Octane, and the Sapling antenna. To top things off, there are then the Rosie and Smiling Sapling player banners too. I sure hope you like butterflies and flowers.

Will Knockout Mode keep people’s interests after the initial hype dies down? I have no idea. What I can say is enjoy it while you can, because it is a limited time mode, for now at least. According to Psyonix's official article on the matter, Knockout Mode and Golden Gift Baskets are around from April 27th through to May 10th.

Comments

Please login to participate in this article discussion!

F0rmundacheese

5 months ago
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like double XP should be implemented every time they do events like this
Reply Report

JHR_customz

5 months ago
I agree, that's a great idea, it would be helpful

Halfoxhalfma

5 months ago
I can’t remember the last time I saw double xp in this game

FinalHandgun

5 months ago
Double xp? What do level up the garbo rewards in the rp or to lvl up main level which doesn’t really do much

DankMemeHub

@Halfoxhalfman I remember double XP weekend from like the 2015 s2 lmao

F0rmundacheese

@FinalHandgun I love leveling up I’m almost to 1700 😅

mnmsjeffreee

5 months ago
I reckon rl needs cross platform trading
Reply Report

I_quit_trading

5 months ago
It'll totally change the market

Sarup-_-Saha

i cant agree and more

theslakaman_on_25_fps

5 months ago
The thing is, the prices on every single item would change and no one would know what prices it should be in the beginning. Soon everyone would go back to their own platform trading and slowly change to trade with other platforms

slangy_savant9

5 months ago
The moment you realize you can break the system of winning, and just kill yourself 3 times and leave, and it still counts as a win+a bit of XP…

Quitico

5 months ago
Its so satisfying to yeet people down after you grab them.

RL_dec

5 months ago
Gonna try get some now :)

Gt_KaHalaKahiki

5 months ago
The items are nice, the game mode itself isn't bad, overall a decent event

Moist_RL

5 months ago
Yeah I really want that dope decal lol the flutterby one

BagelFishy

5 months ago
@Moist_RL yeah I think it’s really cool. I hope they make it a permanent game mode. Everybody likes it. PLEASE PSYONIX MAKE IT A EXTRA MODE

BagelFishy

All in favor say aye

Hydro86

Rocket League Needs To Add Knockout To The Extra Modes Playlist

smooth_cannibal

5 months ago
I'll give it some more time but knockout is missing something. Needs to include some of the rumble powerups or banana peels and turtle shells. I still want a proper racing mode with obstacles etc to fly around.

Animo_rl

5 months ago
They should keep knockout as a permanent extra mode.

gahvynn_nixus_trix_vxflx

5 months ago
Dang this guy needs to write my essays, he dished it out faster then I could say golden gift baskets

Kzxnq

4 months ago
When is it coming out?

Alphzxase

5 months ago
Yeah, you can smell garlic with ur feet...

Tonini08

5 months ago
Nothing’s better than escaping a grab, then hitting the enemy right into the sun.

Fair_RL_Trader

5 months ago
has anyone noticed since this game mode came out wth the new update the game has been lagging constsntly?

TheSheep71

Hey Nate, Hows life?

Hydro86

i dont its alright

Hydro86

@AnimeGamer86 i don't know its alright

ThatGuy863

5 months ago
this game mode is so fun it could be its own game